Monday, April 7, 2014

Something's Up!





Well it’s been a long time since I’ve been able to persuade my mom to write anything.  She can pick up my thoughts and I know she hears me, but she’s been so busy and very tired.  So instead of insisting, I’ve just settled for a nice quiet comfortable cuddle instead.

The house is a frenzy of activity.  I’m not sure what is happening.  My mom has someone to help and they are turning everything out, tidying and cleaning.  It’s been going on for a long time and usually means someone is coming to stay.

I have lots to do outside and have more freedom now I’m a bigger cat and am allowed to use the cat flap to come and go as I like.  It’s a relief not to have to use the cat litter any more – some of the other cats just don’t know how to be discreet…   Usually, I check out the field and area before breakfast, while my mom is still in bed.  I don’t go too far though, as I don’t want to miss food.  Anyway, even during the day, I come back to check on the house and goings on every half hour or so and mid-morning and mid-afternoon, I find a nice sunny spot for a nap – somewhere private, but close, so I can keep an ear on what is happening.

Today it’s all chaotic.  Lots of furniture is outside, all our cat beds are being washed and dried and I’m a bit worried because my mom has some bags out, that she’s packing.  It looks like she might be going away again.  I’m not too concerned because usually someone really cat-friendly moves in to look after us and she always comes back after a while.  We cats don’t have much of a sense of time.  We know about mealtimes, because we get hungry and we know about dusk and dawn, because these are times when we want to be out to do a bit of hunting, but the number of days doesn’t mean much.

The house really needed cleaning.  Mom and her friends have been out catching wild cats again for their neutering programme.  Of course, there are too many cats in Syros and nobody wants more unruly kittens, so I’m not against the idea.  But it’s all a bit disruptive.  You should see some of the disreputable characters that have spent the night in our kitchen.  No manners – some of them, they hiss and spit when I just go up to them to say ‘hi’. Luckily they don’t stay for too long.  Some of them have a bad smell… Mom has them all covered up with blankets to keep warm for the night and the next morning she feeds them and loads them all into her car again.  We don’t usually see the same cats twice and I feel sorry for them, because mostly, they don’t have nice homes like we do, or regular supplies of food.  They have to scavenge round the rubbish bins and rely on irregular handouts from passers-by. 

I remember what it was like to be hungry – it wasn’t fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment